Jakob Röss is working part-time as Mechanical Engineer at UBIQ Aerospace while studying at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology. After finishing his bachelor’s in Mechanical Engineering he’s planning to do a master’s degree in Aerospace Engineering.
How did you start working at UBIQ Aerospace?
– I was on the lookout for a job in addition to my studies and interested in the aerospace industry, but there are very few aerospace companies in Norway. I saw that UBIQ had a vacancy for Embedded Engineer, which is really not for me, but the word Aerospace in the company name caught my attention. So I sent them an email and told them I was very interested in what they’re doing. Now I’m helping out with different projects, both working on the computer and constructing things.
What motivates you?
– When you’re in the middle of a project or a university course it can be hard to see your progress. For me it’s easier to look back once the project is coming towards the end. Seeing what I’ve accomplished is really motivating to me.
If you were a superhero, what powers would you have?
– Teleportation. It would be cool just to snap a finger and be on the other side of the world. To travel wherever you want, whenever you want.
How would you spend your ideal day off?
– In the winter I would probably go cross-country skiing and then spend the rest of the day at home after being out in the cold. In the summer I would go fishing with my best friend, prepare the freshly caught fish over a campfire and just enjoy the day.
Can you recommend a book that you like right now?
– The Autobiography of Malcolm X. I was blown away by it and I think whoever reads it will not regret it. I think this book has the power to change people.